Thursday 9 February 2012

Bexhill War Memorial

 I am trying to get back into doing my reading and research for my dissertation as the feedback for my proposal is due any day. I have had a little bit of a break from it and now I must get my focus back!!

So I thought I would share with you two of my favourite postcards of Bexhill's lovely War Memorial.


The Bexhill War Memorial was first unveiled on Sunday 12th December 1920. It is a 28 foot high obelisk made of Portland stone and was designed by sculptor E.F. Roslyn R.B.S who designed many other war memorials. It was paid for mainly by subscriptions from local residents and groups, as well as the local council. The original quotation was £1400, yet the memorial actually ended up costing £1680, £100 over the money raised through subscriptions.  It is located on Bexhill seafront at the end of Sea Road. This location was chosen so that when visitors to the town arrived at the railway station, they would look down Sea Road and see the war memorial and remember the sacrifice made by Bexhill men. On the southern side of the memorial there is a bronze winged female figure grasping a sword in one hand and a wreath in the other. The figure is Victory and the sword she is grasping represents sacrifice. Her position is significant as she is supposed to be looking out across the English Channel towards the Western Front. On either side of Victory there are bronze tablets engraved with the 331 names of the Bexhillians who had died during the First World War. On the eastern side there are the names of those who served in the Navy and on the western side are those from the Army. The names are listed by regiment then alphabetically. After 1945 the names of those who had died during the Second World War were also added.


No comments:

Post a Comment