Tuesday 15 May 2012

9 Years Ago Today

Nine years ago today was one of the most saddest days of my life. Only I didn't know it was until the following day. Today is the ninth anniversary of the sad passing of my Aunt Gina. She had finally lost her short battle with lung cancer. She was only 43 years young. It was the day before my final exams at university for my undergraduate degree. I knew something was up as my Dad had not called me the night before to wish me luck with my exams like he always did. I now know it was because he was dealing with his own grief and the immediate loss of his sister. The following day I did my exams and when I got home I was still surprised not to have received a call from my Dad. I rung my Mum to tell her how I had got on and noticed she sounded a bit odd, but didn't dwell on it. I also complained that Dad hadn't phoned me and I had tried ringing him with no answer. I now know my Mum had already been told the dreadful news and had been asked by my Dad not to tell me while I was on my own. As soon as I hung up she phoned my Dad to tell him I was trying to get hold of him. He immediately jumped in his car and headed for Brighton to come and tell me the news I had been hoping never to here.
I was lucky to be very close to my Aunt Gina. My family are not known to be the closest or the most emotional of families. However I saw Gina and her husband Uncle Boy regularly every other weekend as they lived near to my Dad. At one point we all shared a house and then after that we lived three doors away from each other for years. She was very important in my life and I could talk to her about anything. She could be very silly and had a unique singing voice! She also gave the best hugs.

When I was 16 she gave me my first job working as the secretary in the factory where she was the manager. It was only for the summer holidays but it was great fun. The best bit was going to work together in the morning and coming home together at the end of the day. We would also have lunch together sometimes, sitting out on the grass enjoying the sun. They would have young boys work for them in the summer in the factory shifting boxes and helping pack deliveries. Gina would always give me a run down of who she had taken on and their vital statistics just encase I was interested! I went back for two more summers while doing my A'Levels although not as secretary but as a packer. When the orders were running slow she would come out of the office and help on the packing floor singing at the top of her voice. Her rendition of The Sound of Music and the "aaarrraaahh" bit was something very special! She also loved to sing-along to "The Female of the Species" by Space.

I miss her very much all the time. She was always very supportive and took a great interest in my life. I find it very sad that she didn't get to see me graduate from University or get my postgraduate or even pass my driving test. It saddens me that she will also not see me pass my Masters or any other achievements in my life. She helped me pack my stuff when I went off to uni and helped me move in and then out of my first house at university. She even helped me paint my bedroom at the first house a lovely purple with pink border (if looked wicked!). Every birthday she would be there to celebrate. Even when she was going through chemo and radiotherapy she still insisted on coming out for a meal for my 20th Birthday. I had not expected her to come so it was a lovely surprise and meant the world to me. I know that she loved me as much as I loved her and that makes me very happy and blessed.

When she died I believe she took a little bit of us with her. My Dad has never been quite the same since that day and I know he finds it very hard and difficult to accept. In fact I don't think we will ever accept it. She was a wonderful kind person. She had a big heart and had a joy for life. I don't think I will ever understand why she had to suffer with lung cancer or why she had to leave us. I cannot put into words how much I wish she was still here. Just to be able to talk to her and get one of her hugs would be amazing but sadly impossible. So on this very sad day while remembering how awful this day was and all that it changed, I will also remember how wonderful she was and how honoured I am to have at least had 21 years of her in my life. I miss her very much but I will always remember her.

Gina Morley 10th July 1960 - 15th May 2003

1 comment:

  1. Hun,
    you have done her a great honour with such lovely writtings about her. Although i have heard the story of the factory before it still made me smile, and by thend i'm here in tears, partly for you and partly because this is the way i feel about my wonderful and stubborn grandad. Another amazing person taken too early. My thoughts were with you all day yesterday xxx

    ReplyDelete