Thursday 1 March 2012

World Book Day 2012

As my blog is called the Book Worm I thought I should write something about today being World Book Day. So what's it all about? Well, World Book Day is a celebration of reading, books, authors and illustrators. It is marked in over 100 countries and it has been running for 15 years now. Its main aim is to encourage children to read books, get excited about reading and genuinely to see books as cool fun things! However it is also a great excuse to encourage adults to pick up a book and get reading too!

As I have said before I love books, so I fully support World Book Day, especially when there are 4 million children living in Britain today who do not own one single reading book. There are also a high number of adults who do not own books either! As someone who has filled three tall bookshelves and now has piles of books scattered around I find this shocking and a real shame. They are missing out on so much. Its part of learning and learning doesn't stop because you finish school. You continue to learn throughout your life and reading plays a part in this.

Reading is a really enjoyable, relaxing past time. There is nothing nicer then snuggling down with a good book, drink and nibbles. Books are door ways to different worlds and different adventures. I couldn't imagine not owning a book.

So my message for today is to encourage everyone to pick up a book and read it. Get lost in it. Enjoy it. For my fellow book worms out there why not use World Book Day as an excuse to treat yourself to a new book!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, i have 2 full bookcases, the children each have a bookcase just for their books, and on my kidnle i have 10 pages of titles, half of which i have already read at least twice, the other half i liked the sound of and bought. On world book day i started reading

    Playing the Genetic Lottery by Terri Morgan. http://terrimorgan.net

    A book about a family and their reality of Schizophrenia. So far gripping and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete